Wednesday, July 13, 2005

It's -EV to be Kind

I have a leak.
I'm a sucker when I hear a hard-luck story.


I've been shafted for this online. Flyerz42, a once-regular poster at PSCrew.com, ripped me off.
But this post concerns those real life hard-luck stories. There was the one black guy on campus who asked for $20. He needed to buy gas and he siad he could pay be back the next day if I went to the University CO-OP where he worked.
I went; I aksed around. He didn't work there, and I'd lost $20.
Big Surprise.
You'd think I'd learn a lesson.
Tonight, after staying indoor all day grinding out $40, I went to HEB and Jack in the Box. HEB was closed, so I got food at the Jack in the Box and went on my way.
Just as I was about to hang a left and exit the shopping center, I saw in front of me a guy jumping up and down waving his hands.
I look to the left.
There's no one there.
I look to the right.
No one.
And there's no one behind me.
This guy wants me to go over there, and I can already feel where this is going.
I should just continue on my way, this'll be the easiest way to get out of this awkward situation.
I pulled up beside him a few seconds later.
Another black guy in need of gas. This gentleman was much like the other. He wanted to make sure I knew he was no threat. Any time he approached with something in his hand, he shouted out what he was holding.
So it turns out he's making a run to Temple, TX and has run out of gas. He's got the box truck right there, so the story seems legit. After leaving his debit card at a Dairy Queen, he has no money. I try to offer to buy the diesel, but neither of us have a container. I offer to buy one, but he fears it won't be big enough. So he suggests I go across the street to Fiesta grocery where I can get cashback. I agree and he asks to ride with me.
How can I insult him by saying no?
I sigh and kick myself on the inside and open the door. At Fiesta he asks if he can stay inside the vehicle while I get money. I'm not having any of that. But in the meantime my power window on the passenger side just went out, while it was down so it doesn't matter.
I go inside, end up using the ATM and I drive him back to his truck. I give him $20 for diesel and my address, so his boss can pay be back.
They say no kind deed goes unpunished.
So he probably magically fucked up my power window, and now he has my address so he can come clean it out whenever he likes.
I'm a genuis.
My apparent naivety begs the question.
Why do I get in these situations?
*************************************************
There was this one time, I met a white guy and his black transvestite friend in the HEB parking lot. Before that night was over, I'd had the white guy help me move into my new apartment and paid him more than half the cash I had (which was not much).
*************************************************
Being a fan of self-analysis i tackled this problem even while the guy was with me.
Could it be, I'm so nice I just have to help?
No. I'm not that nice. I struggled to be friendly dealing with this guy. Plastered on a fake smile, nodded my head at the proper interval etc.
Do I think that I'll be rewarded down the road for this?
I wish. I'm just hoping he doesn't come to my address and rob me blind. I've become quite jaded as far as being nice goes, but I can't stop doing it.
Does it just make me feel good?
That is partially true. It's nice going to bed knowing you've been a blessing to someone. But that's not really the big factor.
So what could it be?
I've decided that I have an inability to turn my back on someone in need. Sometimes, (quite often,) you should. I'm not well off by any means, but I do have the means to help people, and even be ripped off from time to time.

I'll let you know if I get a money order for $20 in the next few days, or if my car is broken into a gutted. I think the latter is more probable than the former, but we'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home