Thursday, April 24, 2008

OT: Thumbs Up for Rudeness

Sometimes it feels so good to be rude.
Tuesday I was sitting in a cramped lecture hall. Robert Rodriguez, a former UT film student, was speaking, and he drew quite a crowd. I had gotten there early, and there was a classmate on my left. To her left, was an empty seat.
Well, things are about to get started when a chick comes strolling down the aisle. I pull up my feet to let her pass, but she elects to sit in the empty seat on my right. A few minutes later,, she turns to me.
"Maybe we should scoot down so people won't have to stand in the aisles," she says.
"Maybe," I allow.
But I shrug it off. They can make their way down the aisle to the seat just like the girl got to hers if they really want to sit. Whatever, no big deal.
So Rodriguez gets started, and he's really interesting. I hate celebrity worship, but he's worth listening to. Anyway, I'm in my own little listening zone, when tap*tap*tap
"Hey," the girl says. "Can you do me a really big favor and just scoot over so someone else can sit down. They're all having to stand."
I smile.
"No. I don't care," I say. "No."
She looks at me in disgusted shock. (At least, that's what I think I saw out of the corner of my eye. I was looking straight ahead, trying to pretend she didn't exist.)
Scooting over will entail asking my classmate to scoot over and then being part of a whole row's disorderly shift as Rodriguez tries to speak. Fuck that.
And it got me to thinking.
I bet she's a liberal.
I don't mean that as an insult to liberals, but the whole situation seemed like a microcosm of the liberal/conservative rift. So, for argument's sake. I'm a conservative.
She was the bleeding heart that wanted me to go out of my way to help people whom I have no obligation to help. She could have crossed past me in the very beginning, sat in the row's middle seat and left open a more accessible seat, but she chose to sit at the first available seat. Then she started asking me to better the overall situation.
Me, I got there early, sat where I wanted to sit and had my shit together. There were probably 30 people sitting or standing in the aisles, and they all had one thing in common: They got there late. So I was the typical uncompassionate conservative. I had no interest in going out of my way, and asking my classmate to go out of her way just so that one person out of 30 might win a surprise game of musical chairs and wind up with a seat.
Seems fair enough to me.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Blogger the diamond said...

screw that bitch

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very good......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home