Sunday, January 30, 2005

Paying for Spring Break with poker

My friends have decided they want to go to Panama City, FL for Spring Break. That sounds cool, but being a poor college student, paying for it is going to be a bitch. I decided tonight that I'm going to try to make money between now and then, and instead of building up my BR, withdrawing earnings and putting it towards the trip. We're getting a good deal, $240 for 5 nights in a hotel, but that's still a significant sum.
So I go over to Royal Vegas. They let you withdraw as little as you want, and the site is really fishy. I jump into a .25/.50 NL HE game and realize immediatley that there is money to be made (or lost) here. There are 4 big-stack WADBs raising 8xBB and betting 5xpot with second pair.
I stay even the whole time by winning two small hands and not getting involved much. Finally, after what seems like forever, I get AKs in MP. Two EPs limp and one guy raises to $2. I call here, which may or may not be the best play.
My thinking was that I don't want the pot to get out of control. If I raise we could see some crazy stuff as people fight for the BB. I just call wanting to keep the pot small until I make something. Aim small, miss small, right?
One of the blinds and one of the limpers calls. So the pot is at a bit over $8.
The flop is a dream. 3AA rainbow. BB bets $2 and it folds to me. The board looks safe, so I call. Turn is a rag, and he bets $4. Now I'm thinking he has a sucker A, and that it's safe to raise. I go ahead and raise here, because I want to get his whole stack by the time the hand is over. A flat call won't facilitate that.
I raise to $12 and he calls. This leaves him with $18.36 The river is a J, and he bets $18. I go all-in. No reason to leave him with a BB, right? He calls.
Apparently he thought I was bluffing. His cards are revealed. Kh2h... Damn, no pair, never a draw.
I'd like to say that my awesome play got him to pump close to $40 into a pot with K hi, but he was just an idiot. That hand put me at $80, and I left. I have schoolwork to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home