Friday, February 17, 2006

Rounders


I'm seriously trying to go the way of Matt Damon in Rounders. After getting fired a few days ago, I decided to try out a local 1/2NL game.
Pet Monster deals at one, and he got me pointed in the right direction. I was impressed when I showed up. It was like 11:00 there were cars all outisde the house. Per instructions, I went around to the back and knocked. There I was met by an appropriately suspicious host in a fur Russian hat. He let me in, called PM to check me out, and that was that.
Looking around, I saw two guys at an otherwise-empty poker table watching TV. Another TV faced me. It featured shots from security cameras around the property. These guys take their security seriously. I walked through the kitchen to get to the poker room. On my right was a free buffet and a fridge stocked with free beer, water, soda and Red Bull.
Music played in the poker room and another big screen TV sat along the wall. The TV featured picture-in-picture, and the mini screen was - you guessed it -- a security camera shot covering the back door. (Ok, maybe you didn't guess it.)
My first stop was the bathroom. There was no pat-down, so I wondered what if someone in my shoes took a gun thinking he'd rob the place. The guys seemed friendly, but I got the feeling if I waltzed back out there with a gun in hand thinking I'd rob the place I'd be dead before I coul tell 'em to reach for the sky.
I'm fairly certain the guy in Seat 6 would have shot me dead.

After waiting for a seat to open and talking with a couple other fellas, I was finally placed in Seat 2. PM's twin brother was dealing and he was an affable bloke. The game was loose, and after a slow start, there seemed to be kill pots once per four hands. ($5 kill when the pot reacjed $100.)
I played TAG-boring. When I raised pre-flop, I hit the flop. I bet the flop and people folded. That's how it was all night. I pulled off one bluff with a dinky pair when I saw a flop with J7 from the BB, but that was it.
The flop was A7x and it checked around (4 players). The trun was another A. The SB and I checked, an aggro player in seat 8 bet $7 and I was the lone caller. I fumbled with chips, looking like I might raise but I wasn't acting, just fumbling. On the blank river I bet $15 and the guy folded without much thought, so my hand was probably good anyway.

I was card dead but never in tricky spots and after three hours, with homework to get done for my 8 a.m. class, I called it quits up $35. It was a good, get-my-feet-wet kinda experience.
I hope to do it regularly, but my BR has no flexibility, sink or swim.

DON'T YOU LOVE MY HILAAARIOUS RE-ARTICULATION OF THE MOVIE POSTER!?!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home