Saturday, July 23, 2005

Non-poker Hobby

I was born with a collector's mentality. So, like a pack rat, I have a lot of junk. Some "collections" I don't tak e seriosuly. Some I do.
I have quasi-collections of PEZ dispenser, Star Wars toys, buttons/pins, etc.
I even buy video games and system with a collection mentality, though I don't fool myself into thinking they'll be worth any money.
I have a Super Nintendo, a Nintendo 64, a Nintendo GameCube, a PlayStation, a PS2, and a dream cast. My original Nintendo broke and my younger brother has an XBox.
I have a fair amount of games, and I never trade them in, no matter how bad they turn out to be.

But my main collection is baseball cards and sports memorbilia in general.
I have tens of thousands of cards and thousands of card depicting players that have played for the San Francisco Giants (my favorite team).
Besides Giants players, my collection focuses on Scott Rolen, Darin Erstad and, to some extent, Alex Rodriguez.
My crown jewel collection is of Will Clark, a former Giant and great player.
I'm posting this because of a nice, but inexpensive, purchase I made on eBay today.
It only ran me $20 after shipping, but this will look nice on my bare walls. While at the Galleria in Houston I visited a store called "Field of Dreams." I was awe-inspired by their selection of autographed photographs and memorobilia. The prices were nothing short of exorbitant, but this stuff was incredible.
Their website can be found here.
The site does not do the store justice by a longshot. They had Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazie autograped boxing gloves. They had numerous gorgeous Tiger Woods autographs, and Texas favorites like Earl Campbell and Warren Moon were also abundant.
But what really struck me was the Nolan Ryan stuff. Growing up it was cliche to love Ryan, so I stayed away from him. But in the last few years, I've become more of a fan. They had autograped pictures of him beating up Robin Ventura and also of him on the mound in his bloody jersey.
That tag on the latter picture reads $400,
I am tempted to save up for it.
If it was $200, I do believe I'd buy it. $400 is a lot for a picture with some ink on it, but that picture would add so much to any room it was in.
Even surrounded by similar items, it took my breath away.
I want it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home