Thursday, August 18, 2005

Victory at Last


I won my first real MTT last night. I was on Noble, and as ScottMc said, the play was soft.
I decided to play a little $5r while I battled Scott on a .10/.20 table. Showtime25 also showed up and we had a grand old time.
Through it all, I half-paid attentionto the $5r. Twice I timed out because I was ignoring it.
I added on after the first hour and was in for $10. Eventually, I realized we were down to two tables. I kep multi-tabling. I was hanging on with between 7x and 10xBB this whole time. But my timing was perfect and I was picking up blinds.
On the bubble, I raised with KcQx. To my chagrin I had 3 callers. One of them was all in. The other was the chip leader and the other had a few more chips than me.
The flop was beautiful. QcXcXc. The guy that called from the BB pushed, I called and the chip leader folded. When the dust had cleared I was at the final table with a huge chip lead.

Basically, I owned the final table. I threw my weight around just right and took blinds while people were knocked out. Down to 4 a fish one a huge pot after calling someone down on the flop and turn with K-hi and rivering a pair.
That put me in second.
With three left i had the great fortune of a superpassive, weak-tighty to my right. She folded her SB constantly saving me thousands of chips per orbit. But i lost a big pot to her right off the bat, and was in a solid third for awhile.
Like I said, it was her passivity that kep me alive and I caught some nice hands at the right time. I doubled after raising with JJ in the SB. The BB (our fish from earlier) pushed with A4. I was happy to call, and even happier when I took down the pot.

With my renewed life I continued stealing blinds. I doubled up the BB when my 77 lost a race to his A9o. but finally he tangled with the weak-tighty and knocked her out.
We were heads up, and he had a 2:1 CL. After going back and forth with a few blinds, I pushed with Q8 after he limped 44. He called and I won the race. Now I was 2:1.
A few hands later, I pushed with J7. He called with T7, somehow, and flopped a T. At this point I had about 35K to his 125K and I was pissed. I almost started pushing every hand, but was able to reign in my emotions.
I doubled with AQ vs A4.
When we got even, I push with AQ. He called in a flash with Kx and flopped a pair. I was feeling pretty low until a beautiful A landed on the turn. When the river fell he was left with barely enough to cover the SB.
Of course he doubled up the next hand. Then he was all-in with 72o vs my Kx. he hit a 7 on the turn, but as soon as i sighed with annoyance, a K spiked on the river.

My mind set at that final table was very weird. A few minutes before making it that far, while still at the final table I typed in the chat box for Scott that I wouldn't mind a baby cash at all. But before I sent it along, I erased. I decided that I'd be asking to bubble and that my mindset was sorry.

At the final table my mind was on that $249 for first the whole time. I kept thinking about how it would affect my recent slide (cut it in half). Only when I got HU did I realize that I hadn't won the $249 yet. But it just felt like it was mine for the taking. Very strange.

Thanks to you two who commented in the 'I Suck' post. Always nice to read words of encouragment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home