Friday, February 24, 2006

Thepokerdb.com comes in handy

So, I jumped in a $50 HU match because I've been up 35.5 of the last 40 hours and it seemed like a good idea.
Plus, going in, I'd won 8 of these in a row.
My opponent is keke22. I look him up in the DB and see 8 cashes and 7 final tables.
Damn...

So I decide to play him as if he's damn good...
(that's ok, so am I)

The early action convinces me he's pretty good. Lots of firing and folding. Aggressive but tight, both of us.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?253100

The eighth hand goes down like this.
I'd raised with aces from the button, he'd folded and I'd shown. I decide i'll raise possibly outplay him if he calls anyway.

*********** # 8 **************
PokerStars Game #4080195865: Tournament #20277081, Hold'em No Limit - Match Round I, Level I (10/20) - 2006/02/24 - 04:41:47 (ET)
Table '20277081 1' One on One Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: keke22 (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: BurntOrnge (1500 in chips)
BurntOrnge: posts small blind 10
keke22: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to BurntOrnge [Kd 3h]
BurntOrnge: raises 40 to 60
keke22: calls 40
*** FLOP *** [Js 8d 5h]
keke22: checks
BurntOrnge: bets 60
keke22: calls 60 He calls my standard (for this match) continuation bet of half the pot. I think he'd raise with a made hand based on the tight aggressive nature of our game thus far. A-hi is possible, I suppose, but I put him semi-squarely on a draw (with intent to outplay me if he misses).
*** TURN *** [Js 8d 5h] [3s]
keke22: checks
BurntOrnge: checks I could prolly take this down with an aggressive bet, but as much as I like my read, I've got no real basis for it. Let's keep the pot small and open him up to bluff...
*** RIVER *** [Js 8d 5h 3s] [8c]
keke22: bets 100
BurntOrnge: calls 100 I like the river, but that bet is convincing as hell. This guy is good, his game plan was to outplay me if he misses, right? But I've got a gameplan, and a pair to go with it.
*** SHOW DOWN ***
keke22: shows [7d Td] (a pair of Eights)
BurntOrnge: shows [Kd 3h] (two pair, Eights and Threes)
BurntOrnge collected 440 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 440 | Rake 0
Board [Js 8d 5h 3s 8c]
Seat 1: keke22 (big blind) showed [7d Td] and lost with a pair of Eights
Seat 2: BurntOrnge (button) (small blind) showed [Kd 3h] and won (440) with two pair, Eights and Threes

So that gives me the early edge.

I hate good hands out of position.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?253110

*********** # 11 **************
PokerStars Game #4080198677: Tournament #20277081, Hold'em No Limit - Match Round I, Level I (10/20) - 2006/02/24 - 04:42:44 (ET)
Table '20277081 1' One on One Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: keke22 (1310 in chips)
Seat 2: BurntOrnge (1690 in chips)
keke22: posts small blind 10
BurntOrnge: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to BurntOrnge [As Qc]
keke22: calls 10
BurntOrnge: raises 60 to 80 As much as I hate being out of position, I figue this guy is likely a better player than me. Additionally, I'm likely ahead right now in the hand. So I should get all the chips in the middle that I can while I've got the best of it right?
keke22: calls 60
*** FLOP *** [Ah 8c 3h]
BurntOrnge: bets 80 still standard
keke22: raises 80 to 160
BurntOrnge: calls 80 silly of him anway, I call. If he has the ace, I'd like to raise, but he's good. So there's a good chance he has total snow. I don't want to end this hand just yet.
*** TURN *** [Ah 8c 3h] [Jd]
BurntOrnge: checks give him his chance to bluff [b]
keke22: checks
*** RIVER *** [Ah 8c 3h Jd] [8h]
BurntOrnge: checks [b] I don't think he has the ace, and I don't think I stand to gain much, if anything, by betting (maybe I was wrong). I figure I'll just let him bet (plus I don't want to get caught with my pants down if he has that 8, very possible based on his play)

keke22: bets 120
BurntOrnge: calls 120
*** SHOW DOWN ***
keke22: shows [Jc Kh] (two pair, Jacks and Eights)
BurntOrnge: shows [As Qc] (two pair, Aces and Eights)
BurntOrnge collected 720 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 720 | Rake 0
Board [Ah 8c 3h Jd 8h]
Seat 1: keke22 (button) (small blind) showed [Jc Kh] and lost with two pair, Jacks and Eights
Seat 2: BurntOrnge (big blind) showed [As Qc] and won (720) with two pair, Aces and Eights

So now my lead is 2:1. I can B-E Agressive

Next hand...

http://www.pokerhand.org/?253112

*********** # 12 **************
PokerStars Game #4080200449: Tournament #20277081, Hold'em No Limit - Match Round I, Level I (10/20) - 2006/02/24 - 04:43:19 (ET)
Table '20277081 1' One on One Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: keke22 (950 in chips)
Seat 2: BurntOrnge (2050 in chips)
BurntOrnge: posts small blind 10
keke22: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to BurntOrnge [4d 5s]
BurntOrnge: raises 40 to 60
keke22: calls 40
*** FLOP *** [4c 4s Jd]
keke22: checks
BurntOrnge: bets 60 keeping it standard
keke22: raises 60 to 120
BurntOrnge: calls 60 I feel like he's really got it this time. Surely he doesn't want to get in another big pot with nothing after the previous one.
*** TURN *** [4c 4s Jd] [8c]
keke22: bets 140 Honestly, I was hoping he'd bet more than this. The small bet left me doubting my best course of action. I certainly still thought he had it, and figured if he'd good, there's no way he's folding (I mean that, as backward as it sounds). The question was, should I push or raise? They both seemed really obvious, but a call seemed worse because I wanted this to be the final hand. Call and I give him a chance to keep the pot small. Surely he can't put me on a 4 anyway... so after prolly 35 seconds...
BurntOrnge: raises 240 to 380
keke22: raises 390 to 770 and is all-in
BurntOrnge: calls 390
*** RIVER *** [4c 4s Jd 8c] [3s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
keke22: shows [Jh Ks] (two pair, Jacks and Fours)
BurntOrnge: shows [4d 5s] (three of a kind, Fours)
BurntOrnge said, "gg"
BurntOrnge collected 1900 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1900 | Rake 0
Board [4c 4s Jd 8c 3s]
Seat 1: keke22 (big blind) showed [Jh Ks] and lost with two pair, Jacks and Fours
Seat 2: BurntOrnge (button) (small blind) showed [4d 5s] and won (1900) with three of a kind, Fours


Disclaimer: I know I got lucky, hit every flop, hit a turn that let me make a call etc...
But I think I played each of those hands (and every hand in the match for that matter) perfectly, so while I'm not saying I proved I'm better than this guy, I was able to peg him damn accurately because I knew he was good and then outplay him from there.

In other news, I played another session of live 1/2NL. This was a different raked game. This time I found myself on the southern end of Austin. Despite my few live game experiences in Austin, I found myself playing against three different people I've played with at various times. Two from Adam Seyer's house and one from the AEPi charity tourney.

This game was much tougher than the first. I missed flop with big cards, then had continuation bets called. Or I raised pf with a big pair, got a caller than couldn't get wanted action on the flop (except once early).
So I ended up getting down around $100.
Finally I got lucky, hitting a semi-free two-outer on the river to boat up and take down a fella's flopped trips.
I bet the flop, he flat-called. The turn went check-check, and then I hit, so I didn't feel bad.
That pot put me close to even, but I still ended the night with $15 less than I started with.
Dropping $15 hours in six hours of play didn't seem so bad after being down $100.

The guy I sucked out on was a Jordanian that spoke with a thick accent. A nice, innocent, affable, personality combined with a loose table imagekept him the focus of the table's attention. But it turns out, under the friendly exterior he was a prick.
As evidenced by the colossal slow-roll he pulled on some poor guy from TX State.
On a JJx flop, TX State guy overbets and the Jordanian check-raises all in.
"Do you have the jack?"
The other guy answers in the affirmative as he calls and flips over JT. He says something to the effect that he thinks he's up against a flush draw and that he doesn't want to see any clubs.
Jordan nods, "no clubs."
And no clubs fall.
Then Jordan flips over AJ.
"Ace kicker," he proclaims happily as he rakes in a $200+ pot.

I was floored.
If that was me he'd slow-rolled...

Hey, I don't put it past myself. I once threw a deck of cards in a guy's face and went around the table and after him for laughing at me after a hand.

He was like 230 and more cool-headed than me, so I got lucky. My ass shoulda been grass.

Anyway, point is, when I'm seeing red, there's no telling.
But now that I know he likes to pull that shit, I'll just tell myself he's doing it every time if I ever play against him again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home