Monday, October 17, 2005

Help

Here's the situation.
I know what vehicle I want to buy.
I know I can afford it.
My parents have to co-sign, and I don't want to make a major purchase without their blessing anyway.
They've agreed that I can make payments on something.
They want me to buy a fuel-efficent car.
They're probably thinking in the 8-9K range.

I want an '01-'03 Ford F150 King Ranch Edition truck.
Sure, it sounds like I'm being a moron, but I've done my research and know I can afford it. I've wanted one for years, so it's not like I'd be upset that I got it. It's a gorgeous truck that I'd love to own.

So how do I convince them to go along with it?
I need to compose a sensible argument.
Here's what I got so far:
A.) It'll help me establish good credit paying a regular payment for a long period of time.
I don't ever want a credit card. I'll put off getting one as long as humanly possible. But I need some way to get credit, and this could be a good opportunity. Not many other ways to establish credit.

B.) It's expensive, but I can afford it.
Right now I make around $900 a month. Bills are taken care of with student loans, so making a $350 payment would be a breeze. If it got tough, I still have poker. I could easily make the payment with poker earnings if needed.
C.) I'd be set for years.
This is a truck that adults would be happy to own, you can bet your ass that I'd be happy with it. I've wanted it for years, so I won't tire of it.

D.) I won't be immediately beset with maintenance troubles.
significantly less than 100K miles on it would beWe saw how long the 4Runner lasted, may it burn in hell. If I spend 8-9K, I feel like I'm driving a ticking timebomb. Buy a car just a few years old with awesome.
Z.) That leather is gorgeous.



Any more good reasons to give my parents? Let me know.

3 Comments:

At 5:21 AM, Blogger Slayre said...

You may want it, but, do you need it?

That's about the only thing I can say without being a hyprocrite.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger MrGoss said...

I'm leaning towards Slayre's comment, but in interest of helping I will offer the following: A truck holds its value longer than a car. The bling will help it also if you decide to resell it later. Also, leather is easier to keep clean (I have two children, so trust me on this point.) A truck is generally safer than a car due to size and weight in a collision. (I bring this up because I've driven through Austin in rush hour before.) Lastly, you can haul a whole-lotta shit around in the back of a truck. =)

Good luck.

(Oh yeah, almost forgot.......Go Red Raiders!!) heheheh....

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger Carl said...

A truck is handy! You can charge your friends a nominal fee to help them move. You can always mow lawns on the side to help with the payments. Painting houses is also an option. You can sleep in the bed in a pinch. And most importantly you can haul poker tables to the next tournament.

Safety probably is the number one reason! Besides Longhorn stickers look much better on a pick up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home