Thursday, September 01, 2005

Back to School

The dreaded day has arrived. Yesterday I was back in class at the Univsity of Texas campus.
It's no fun, but I'm ready to get to it.
I'm taking four classes. German, Narrative Strategies, Feature Writing and Sports Journalism.

German should suck. I like learning the language, but I hate getting graded on my progress. My professor is like Jim Carrey in The Cable Guy, but he doesn't want to be your friend. The first quiz is tomorrow, the third day of class...

Narrative Strategies should be fun. It's an R-T-F class, that's radio-television-film--one of my majors.

My other major is journalism, and to that end I'm taking the feature writing class and sports-J. Sports-J is supposed to be an awesome class. Guest speakers have included Rick Reilly and Mike Tirico.

That and my two jobs are cutting into my poker time though. In addition to working at Child Support Enforcement, I'm on P-Staff at the Daily Texan. There I work the desk one night a week and cover Big 12 football.
It's a blast.

One of my stories ran today
.

Like I said, this throws a wrench into my poker playing, but not at an especially bad time. After the swing I've taken and still not recovered from, less play will do me good.
I did play in the WPTFan/DBPoker FIAB tourney two nights ago. We had a pretty good field with 5 spots paying. I got lucky once, played great and got 3-handed with a chip lead. Unfortunately a bold-semi bluff flopped and I was below 10xBB.
On the next hand the other guy was crippled as well, and left with a BB or two less than me. I had the button, and the table was very tight, so I pushed with 75o. The play is +EV, I'm sure of that.
But my timing was off and the new shorty had 77. I flopped an open-ended straight draw but couldn't get lucky and was out soon afterward.
I was pretty pissed off with third place because when I reshuffled my bankroll, I left a scant $200 on Stars. I bought into the FIAB with $105 in my account. (Tilting through $6.50 turbos adds up). With a first or second place finish, I would have been back to even since the transfer of funds, but it was not to be, and I'm still -$50, at $150. But the $50 is better than nothing. I was despairing when I saw that $105; I can handle $150 better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home