Tuesday, December 13, 2005

$150 Live Tourney

I played my first Dogbrown game, and it was a $150. That's the biggest buy-in tourney I've ever played.
Hosted by Adam Seyer, it was again well-run. Everything was done efficiently and professionally.
The structure was gorgeous, with 45 minute levels and blinds that didn't feel the need to double too often. We started with T5000, with 25/50 blinds.
I lasted around 7 hours, and finished 4th of 24 for $412.
It makes my wallet look fat; I like it.

The name of the game for me was survival. I was chronically short-stacked, and expected always to be out next. But then we were at the final table. Two players, including our unfortunate host, were eliminated. On the bubble I had a huge hand.
I call it my "Degree All-in Moment."
I was ridiculously short (I swear I was trying to push) and found 25% of my stack invested into the pot with the big blind. Eriv Vogelstein (Vogman42) raise in LP and the button (tight player) called. I looked down and saw T7hh.
Sweet, not that it mattered much.
"All-in," I said, and both quickly called.
I was getting like 4:1. Bad cards, good spot, and I looked like a prime bubble candidate.
Then came the flop.
First I saw a T and 7. About that time, I realized I just might triple up. Then the dealer fanned out the flop. Lo and behold, there was another 7 and I'd flopped a boat.
-Cue hopeful, victorious music -
The other six weren't happy to see my T7, but I was.
Come to think of it, I acted pretty cool about it. That's nice.

I also acted pretty cool when I lost, but I was steaming. I'd worked my stack to around T12000 and felt like I had a nice chance. Had QQ stood up to AQ, I already would have been in the final 3.
With AA UTG, I made it 2400. The LAG BB called and we were off to the flop.
T82, I bet 3K and he check-raised all-in.
I insta-called and he turned over 52dd.
I wasn't surprised.
The 5 on the turn didn't surprose me either, and I heard myself say "nice hand" as soon as it hit.
The river was a blank, and I was done.

gg
ighn

1 Comments:

At 2:35 PM, Blogger MrGoss said...

Would like to have seen you raise more on the Hilton Sister hand. You have to put that guy to a huge test unless he had you covered by at least 2:1. You didn't give us the stack size and blinds there. That might have swayed my comments. Way to stay curteous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home